DEADLINE Applications are due by February 11, 2022 5:00 PM EST.
NOTIFICATION Applicants will be notified of the review panel decision by the end of May, 2022.
PROGRAM OneBeat 2022 will take place July 11, 2022 - September 6, 2022.
Applicants must be ages 19-35 to apply.
Country or Territory of Origin
OneBeat Virtual Fellows must currently live full-time in one of the 50 eligible countries and territories. We also seek applicants who have not had extensive global exchange and performance opportunities in the U.S. and Abroad.
Eligible Countries and Territories - Albania, Algeria, Bangladesh, Barbados, Belarus, Bolivia, Bosnia Herzegovina, Brazil, Cambodia, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Croatia, Cuba, Democratic Republic of Congo, Dominican Republic, Egypt, Ethiopia, India, Indonesia, Iraq, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kosovo, Kyrgyzstan, Lebanon, Madagascar, Malaysia, Maldives, Mali, Mongolia, Morocco, Nepal, Nigeria, Pakistan, Palestinian Territories, Philippines, Russia, Senegal, Serbia, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Tunisia, Turkey, Ukraine, United States, Uzbekistan, Venezuela, Zimbabwe
Applicants should be able to converse in and understand basic English, as it will be the common language of the OneBeat Virtual program.
Internet & Technical Requirements
All Fellows should actively use email and be able to connect to the internet to participate in web-based activities. All OneBeat Virtual Fellows must have access to a laptop or equivalent smart device (with camera) and a reliable internet connection to participate in the program.
Important Information for Applicants:
Musicians from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply, with or without formal musical training. We welcome music of all genres, including but not limited to: traditional/folk, hip hop, experimental, electronic, jazz, classical, sound design, beat-making, multimedia art, or any combination of these styles. In addition to full-time professional musicians, we also invite adventurous musicians who are civic leaders, instrument builders, writers, videographers, musicologists, educators, storytellers, dancers, shadow-puppeteers, and more.
1. OneBeat Virtual is a residency and exchange program. Fellows are expected to attend all online sessions during the eight week period, including virtual masterclasses, full group and elective online workshops and the final public streaming events. The fellowship involves 28 working days over 8-weeks to allow for both online connection and asynchronous offline project development time. See FAQs for details on time commitment.
2. Collaboration is central. OneBeat offers musicians the opportunity to collaborate on new projects and to explore new musical traditions. Rather than showcasing solo talent, OneBeat musicians will work together across stylistic and cultural divides in pursuit of new musical possibilities.
3. OneBeat Virtual is socially engaged. We are looking for musicians who have a strong commitment to their communities and who are seeking new ways to engage in youth development, music education, music therapy, conflict resolution, a global dialogue through music, and other ways of working towards more egalitarian and democratic societies.
- Musical Excellence - A high level of performance, composition, improvisational, production and/or technological skill. Ideally OneBeat Virtual musicians will be innovating stylistically, lyrically, or technologically within their musical worlds.
- Collaboration - Applicants’ willingness to reach across cultural and musical divides in creating original music or re-interpreting traditional music, while respecting the essence of each tradition. Applicants should be prepared to try new things musically.
- Social Engagement - Musicians who have used music to serve their communities or greater societies. This might consist of guiding young people in music education, addressing social or political issues through musical content, reviving dying musical traditions, and more.
- Digital Fluency - Applicants who have experience working, creating and collaborating in digital spaces, demonstrate skill in creating digital media, or show promise engaging and encouraging others engagement in web-based collaboration.